Saturday, September 25, 2010

You have put more joy in my heart...

My devotional this morning was about the wedding feast at Cana, the location of the first miracle of Jesus. The wine has run out, the host is about to be embarrassed, and the celebrating will end. My notes in my Bible tell me that to run out of wine broke strong unwritten rules of hospitality, so I assume this would have left quite the black smear on the bride's wedding week. Heartbreaking for a parent.
I love the simplicity of this miracle. I think, "isn't there more important things to do than to provide more refreshments at a wedding feast?" But, to know that Jesus cares about the things that we may feel are not worthy of His attention. I often find myself feeling guilty for going to Him for help, when there are so many others out there with needs greater than mine. And I feel guilty receiving such help from Him, when I know there are others who need it worse than me.
But, Jesus cared about this bride and He cared about her family. So, He took jars used for ceremonial cleansing (legalism) and had them filled up with water, and then turned that water into wine, just so the celebrating did not have to stop, and the family would not be embarrassed. That is a picture of the abundant life that He offers us when we trust in Him. That no request is too insignificant when laid before the Lord, and then offered back to Him for His glory after He meets the need.
And look who gets to be front row witnesses to this first miracle ~ the servants! We do not know who all was aware of the problem. Clearly, Mary, because she was the one who asked Jesus to help, and the servants, because she said to them - "Do whatever He says", and they did ~ and they got to be a part of a miracle. But likely, most of the guests just went right on enjoying the party and never knew there was a problem. They just thought the host saved the best wine for the end. This would have been odd - but whatever!
I want to be those servants - I want to know about the problem, obey when told, "Do whatever He says." And then sit back and watch Him transform my life into abundance, and fill up my empty jars.
For us, the empty jars are financial right now - but couldn't it be empty jars of Joy or Hope or Peace? We all have empty jars in our lives - that Jesus wants to fill up with something better than we could ever imagine. If we would only recognize the need, ask, and then obey.
I will tell you that the Lord has been blessing us lately. Precious friends have been led by Him to help us in the past week in miraculous ways - and I am overwhelmed by the generosity. And every time someone gives to us, I want to say - "No no no, we don't need that! The Lord will provide!" And then I hear God say, "I just did."
It is hard to accept the Lord's provisions however He gives them. It is humbling. But it is His job to decide how He will save us. And it is my job to offer Him glory and praise for the "save".
"You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound." Psalm 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment