Saturday, June 26, 2010

watching the wind

"Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" Matt. 14:29-30

I have noticed a little wind around me this week, and have been very tempted to keep my eye on it, thereby sinking. In this passage, Peter exhibits such amazing faith by climbing out of a boat, on rocky waters, to get to Jesus. And it reminds me that, when we begin to step out in faith, the wind will pick up around us. If the storm were not already frightening enough, Satan will increase it's force if he sees it is not keeping you "in your boat".
The "wave" in our life this week, to which I am referring, is that we found out that Billy will not be an interview candidate for the job that we were praying about. Billy feels that it is probably because he is in law school, and they are looking for a "lifer", not a 3-5 yearer... We know that there must be another job out there, but it is tempting to become discouraged, to look at that measly little wave, and start to sink.
However, that is not what Billy is doing! I have to tell you this, because I am so proud of him. Today, Billy handed me a check for $52, and asked me to put it in our tithe envelope. I asked what it was from, and he told me he received a $520 unemployment check. I am so amazed that he has the faith to tithe from unemployment! We need that $52 - more than you know! So, to see Billy give 10% of the Lord's back to Him, even when we really need every dime, is such a faith testimony to me! Billy knows who provided the money, and he knows that God is able to provide more, and even secure him a job. Giving what we owe to the Lord is worth it!! God is able to redeem $52 and SO much more! I am not sure that Billy had that kind of faith 6 months. So, I am already seeing the redemptive, life changing work that God is doing in our hearts and in our lives through this difficult time, and I should not be at all surprised that the wind is "picking up". Trying to keep my eyes on Jesus - thank you for your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment