The girls and I all have had the stomach virus today, and through this lovely experience I have solidified my decision that Emma will be the child who gets to house me when I grow old.
Let me begin by asking why in the world it is that children can get the very same virus an adult gets, and still be able to run around the house like wild people feeling great in between puking sessions, while the adult feels like death for at least a full 24 hours with no relief?
Long after I had finished cleaning up after them and they were totally recovered, I lay on the bathroom floor in a ball wishing for my mother, when Emma came in. She sat down on the floor next to me and rubbed my back and told me how sorry she was that I was sick, and wondered aloud how her father had been so fortunate as to miss out on this illness. A thought not far from my own mind... Sweet Emma sat there with me for a good 20 minutes while I prayed silently not to get sick. Madeleine came by and shrieked "MAMA" and then ran off laughing. This is why I have decided to live with Emma. Someday when she is old enough, she will read this blog and probably regret her kindness, since it resulted in her having to care for me in my old age - but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
Later, when I was able to peel myself up off the floor and crawl to the bed, she clapped her hands and said - "I prayed for you!" And it had resulted in me not getting sick. Little angel.
I must say, in defense of Madeleine she did come to my bed and announce that she would give me a "Hair cut". Now before you fall over from shock that I would allow that - even in my present state - please know that a "Hair cut" means getting my makeup brushes out and pretending to put eye shadow and blush on me and spraying me with body spritzer. It may have absolutely nothing to do with my hair... So, I hear her rummaging in my bathroom cabinets and I hear her say - "I found new brushes." But I am too sick to care. And then I realized that she found brushes in actual makeup compacts and is actually putting quite a bit of makeup on my face. This is a service I could have lived without, but she was trying to help me feel (if not look) a little better. My compacts on the other hand do not look good at all. They look to have been dug out at the hands of a 4 year old, while her mother lay in bed too sick to move.
I have posted a picture of the three of us on healthier days ~ Mother's Day. Yes, I am wearing a paper plate on my head, and yes, I wore it to church. Madeleine made that Mother's Day Bonnet herself and just look how she coordinated all the green. She will try her best to keep me attractive, and Emma will rub my back when I am sick. Even on a day like today, I know that I could not be more blessed.
LOVE that you are doing this! Your transparency and sense of humor in the midst of, well, things, has always encouraged me. It all comes through so clearly in your writing, too. Thanks, friend! Love you Layers!
ReplyDeleteHilarious! Can Emma please marry Sam? He will take good care of you too! :) I laughed out loud thinking of you getting sick with all that crazy makeup on your face. Sweet Madeleine!
ReplyDeleteOh Lisetta! What a story! I'm so sorry about your awful 24 hours, but I'm so happy Emma is a natural caretaker for you. It got me wondering -- neither of my girls seem inclined in that capacity!
ReplyDeleteI can totally see Madeleine yelling "Mommy" and giggling away. That's Madeleine!
ReplyDelete